Highlights and links
We were excited to see how our first ever guest judge would fare and Lou Smith (Chair of the board of Innovate Finance UK) certainly rose to the challenge this week and contributed valuable insights to the discussion!
Regular viewers might be happy to hear that for the first time since the start of the show, we didn’t mention MUSK once!! (oh ….. wait, now we’ve gone on mentioned him 🤦🏼♂️)
Links to stuff we spoke about:-
- The ECB voiced a strong opinion on Bitcoin (not that they have a different agenda to push or anything) saying that irrelevance is pre-programmed
- Meanwhile, Meta might be heading to irrelevance as they are hit with another fine
- SBF blames accounting errors for FTX failure – ??? (This should have been in the WTF round!)
- Yes, the story about the founders of PIPE is true – sometimes the comedy just writes itself ….
- But THIS story is a (small) glimmer of hope for female fintech founders this year – now can we have more please?
- Chase are really planning to kill their own credit card business – harsh words from Dimon
- If you didn’t know what the controversial story by the WEF was all about – it was based on this article and sort of blew up from there
- The news from Maersk was a bit of a surprise to the team as it broke just before the recording
- The article from forkast was controversial but that’s what stimulates discussion and thought – no?
- Yes, “breatharianism” is an actual thing believe it or not – and Netflix have just released a movie about it
- HSBC have indeed just sold their Canadian operation to RBC but the story under discussion was this one
- Japan really did run a campaign to try to get young people to drink more
- But the European Commission won the WTF award with this stunt covered by multiple sources
If you enjoyed the show, please do share across socials to help us grow!
The team all scour multiple sources each week looking for the biggest and most controversial stories, along with those that simply make you go WTF?????
Free free to give any of us a shout out on any of our social platforms shown on the home page or tag us in posts that you think we should know about in the world of Fintech and Financial services (or anything else for that matter!).
Dinner with Skinner
Chris Skinner aka "The Wise Guy" needs no introduction to anyone in financial services pretty much anywhere in the world. Let's face it, the guy is a living legend - with 17 bestselling books to his name and connections to some of the most influential people in Financial Services, who wouldn't dive at the opportunity to have a candid conversation moderated by him around the dinner table?
Framed as a "research meeting" and using The Finanser as an independent firm to ensure there are no improprieties, this is an opportunity for you to extend an invitation to up to 10 c-suite execs to an exclusive event held at a Michelin star style restaurant anywhere in the world - hit the button below to request more info!Click NOW