Highlights and links
If you prefer to listen to the show on your favourite podcast platform then please click on the links for Apple Podcasts, Spotify & Anchor.fm
Will Fintechs kill banks?
Will AI kill us?
Did Money2020 Europe kill the half of the team that attended?
The short answers are no, no and no and for the longer answers we’re afraid you’ll just have to watch / listen to the show!
Oh … and both Rik and Chris broke out in song this time (but not together – we still await the first duet).
Links to the stuff we spoke about:-
- Australia is doing away with cheques by 2030 (now can the USA commit to the same please?)
- JPMorgan is now the biggest bank in the world
- The JPM No. 2 shed light on their strategy and Chris wrote an opinion piece about why they win
- BMW Finance fined for lack of dirty money controls
- Barclays continue to fund fossil fuels – investors aren’t happy
- It seems most banks aren’t too worried about climate risk either
- Coinbase is facing a spot of trouble
- And so is Binance as the SEC has them in their sights
- Would you use ChatGPT to create your own meme coin? (And should we create “fucoin”??)
- AI was a hot topic at Money2020 Europe this year
- BUT – Jason Mars of Clinc showed the world back in 2018 what they were already doing with LLM’s!
- Andrew’s chapter in this book covered the future of AI and education and many aspects of another short story (free to download) he wrote for a different book back in 2018 are already coming true!
- Our mutual friend Dave Birch wrote an article worth reading (not that they aren’t all worth reading – but this one was relevant to the show!)
- The story of Belgian Proptech turned Fintech Setle is worth a read to find out why KBC invested €1.5 million in them
- If you thought banks aren’t interested in the metaverse then read this
- But we all REALLY liked this article from a16z – it’s a long read so grab a beverage and settle in
- Finextra also posted an interesting article covering 5 use cases for chatgpt in banking
- The fact that Starling even needed to do this is a reflection of just how disgusting certain members of the human race can be at times
- This guy in the toilet is (hopefully) NOT a reflection of bankers in general, but this manager’s behaviour (video footage here) is one of the reasons that this list exists
- And finally, this video is the one referred to in this article about the incident in the bank in Nigeria
If you enjoyed the show, please do share a link across socials to help us grow and don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to be notified of the next episode!
The team all scour multiple sources each week looking for the biggest and most controversial stories, along with those that simply make you go WTF?????
Free free to give any of us a shout out on any of our social platforms shown on the home page or tag us in posts that you think we should know about in the world of Fintech and Financial services (or anything else for that matter!).
Dinner with Skinner
Chris Skinner aka "The Wise Guy" needs no introduction to anyone in financial services pretty much anywhere in the world. Let's face it, the guy is a living legend - with 17 bestselling books to his name and connections to some of the most influential people in Financial Services, who wouldn't dive at the opportunity to have a candid conversation moderated by him around the dinner table?
Framed as a "research meeting" and using The Finanser as an independent firm to ensure there are no improprieties, this is an opportunity for you to extend an invitation to up to 10 c-suite execs to an exclusive event held at a Michelin star style restaurant anywhere in the world - hit the button below to request more info!Click NOW