Highlights and links
If you prefer to listen to the show on your favourite podcast platform then please click on the links for Apple Podcasts, Spotify & Anchor.fm
We welcomed guest judge Barb MacLean of Fintech Playlist fame to preside over proceedings this week during which, the European Payments Initiative (EPI) made a big announcement, taking them one step closer to breaking the Visa / Mastercard duopoly in the region.
There were other losers and a surprising winner on the show but no more spoilers, you’ll have to watch / listen for yourself!
If you haven’t already discovered Barb’s Fintech Playlist weekly newsletter then you’re in for a treat! It’s a carefully curated collection of Fintech and Financial Services stories from around the world, lovingly (and occasionally laughingly) matched to music. If you can’t imagine what that would be like then just hit the link and take a look for yourself!
Links to the stuff we spoke about:-
- One of Revolut’s biggest shareholders, asset management company Schroders, dealt them a painful blow this week
- As Chris pointed out, they aren’t the only unicorn to have their valuations called into question recently
- EPI’s latest proposed acquisitions must surely be cause for concern in the Visa & Mastercard camps?
- Opinion piece about stupid bankers making stupid decisions
- Chris pointed out that it’s all a bit of a Fintech Bloodbath
- So NOT wanting to build Fintech in house actually seems like a smart decision right now and good news for fintechs!
- Chris wrote about this a few years ago – we hate it when he’s right (most of) the time but he does make sense (most of the time)
- If you’re in the Benelux region you really should be attending this conference
- Sad story about an elderly couple being scammed out of their savings
- Chris warned how vigilant you have to be – take a look at this twitter handle!
- Surprising to see Coinbase pushing the SEC really hard to make regulatory decisions
- William Shatner aka Captain James T Kirk from Star Trek really did launch an NFT collection
- The short clip from comedian John Oliver is easier to watch than the cringe-worthy music video from Zuck’s sister!
- No, Andrew doesn’t make this stuff up – BackHug really did launch today
- Is crypto designed for crime? Read this and reach your own conclusion
- But seriously, how tone deaf can the Bank of England’s top economist be?
If you enjoyed the show, please do share a link across socials to help us grow and don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to be notified of the next episode!
The team all scour multiple sources each week looking for the biggest and most controversial stories, along with those that simply make you go WTF?????
Free free to give any of us a shout out on any of our social platforms shown on the home page or tag us in posts that you think we should know about in the world of Fintech and Financial services (or anything else for that matter!).
Dinner with Skinner
Chris Skinner aka "The Wise Guy" needs no introduction to anyone in financial services pretty much anywhere in the world. Let's face it, the guy is a living legend - with 17 bestselling books to his name and connections to some of the most influential people in Financial Services, who wouldn't dive at the opportunity to have a candid conversation moderated by him around the dinner table?
Framed as a "research meeting" and using The Finanser as an independent firm to ensure there are no improprieties, this is an opportunity for you to extend an invitation to up to 10 c-suite execs to an exclusive event held at a Michelin star style restaurant anywhere in the world - hit the button below to request more info!Click NOW