Highlights and links
If you prefer to listen to the show on your favourite podcast platform then please click on the links for Apple Podcasts, Spotify & Anchor.fm
**UPDATE regarding Silicon Valley Bank**
The news that the US regulators shut down SVB broke within hours AFTER we recorded the show. It is having an impact on the markets globally, not to mention the impact it will have on the startup ecosystem across the world. This is devastating news and we in no way intended to trivialise the issue. It’s frightening how fast the situation changed.
** END update **
The news about Silicon Valley Bank is having an impact on banks and markets globally – and it wasn’t even the right answer to a question this week! The team spoke about N26, boiling frogs and Belgians (no, not boiling Belgians!!) and our singing quizmaster was back on form once again (or off-key, depending how you look at it ….)
Links to stuff we spoke about:-
- All the channels are full of the Silicon Valley Bank news – this is a shortlist of what we read from The Times, Sharesmagazine, CNN, Wolfstreet and Reuters
- SVB news overshadowed the news about Silvergate – which has hit the already struggling crypto-markets badly
- If you want to dig a bit deeper into reasons why both of these banks have suddenly collapsed, this makes for interesting reading
- Is what is going on with the youth in Belgium indicative of attitudes globally?
- What’s wrong with burning through $100 million a month? Klarna says it’s OK so it must be fine ..
- Can Railsr get back on track or have they finally come off the rails?
- Is Fintech an industry built by men, for men?
- Innovate Finance launched their Women in Fintech Powerlist on International Women’s day – take a look at the fabulous list of ladies shaking things up – now MORE please!
- Top execs were warned about troubles at N26
- Which probably had something to do with the exit of their Chief Risk Officer
- Take a look at Chris’s Hot or Not blog post for more insights into what really matters (or doesn’t) in FS right now
- Is China investable? Would you raise your head above the parapet when you could suddenly disappear for a while for no reason?
- NOT having deposit insurance is a feature not a flaw – seriously?
- What happens when you can’t convince your bank you are still alive?
If you enjoyed the show, please do share a link across socials to help us grow and don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE to be notified of the next episode!
The team all scour multiple sources each week looking for the biggest and most controversial stories, along with those that simply make you go WTF?????
Free free to give any of us a shout out on any of our social platforms shown on the home page or tag us in posts that you think we should know about in the world of Fintech and Financial services (or anything else for that matter!).
Dinner with Skinner
Chris Skinner aka "The Wise Guy" needs no introduction to anyone in financial services pretty much anywhere in the world. Let's face it, the guy is a living legend - with 17 bestselling books to his name and connections to some of the most influential people in Financial Services, who wouldn't dive at the opportunity to have a candid conversation moderated by him around the dinner table?
Framed as a "research meeting" and using The Finanser as an independent firm to ensure there are no improprieties, this is an opportunity for you to extend an invitation to up to 10 c-suite execs to an exclusive event held at a Michelin star style restaurant anywhere in the world - hit the button below to request more info!Click NOW